Art & Architecture are the foundation of Kayla Pongrac’s projects. Kayla has a vision: to create divergent concepts that bring narration to design.
“… TO CREATE A STORY ABOUT ART, FOOD, AND THE CULTURE OF DESIGN AS INVITING AS INNOVATIVE” – KAYLA PONGRAC
Her passion for innovative hospitality design, her influential concern for sustainability, her enthusiasm for creating experiences, her desire for favorable food and conversation, her aesthetic appreciation for art and architecture, and her insistence for cultural assortment have ordained Kayla Pongrac’s place as a designer.
Her childhood was spent drawing dream homes, finger painting portraits, constructing mega forts, crafting structures of wooden blocks, sketching playhouse designs and building them with her father, to sewing fabric medleys with her grandmother and creating themed events and dining spaces. Although her hobbies were immature, her passion for food and design advanced during her teenage years where she gained experience working at several hospitality venues. Kayla was ambitious to implement her artistic ideas into spaces for socializing and dining. She was seeking for an experience beyond the norm. Kayla’s youth of art & design matured through her education of architecture at Carleton University in Ottawa and European University of Madrid. Not long afterwards, she attended the Institute for Advanced Architecture of Catalonia in Barcelona where she studied sustainable, urban parametric design. It was during her studies in Barcelona where Kayla launched her pursuit for her own business in revolutionary hospitality design.
Through boundless travels, Kayla’s experience of culture is seasoned with gratitude. Her ability to digest food and culture into design accompanied by art and architecture is illustrious. The experiences that are created by her projects entail the celebration of art through redefining and perfecting design.
“DESIGN IS COMPOSED OF MEANING, WHICH NOURISHES THE PRODUCT” – KAYLA PONGRAC
We choose to put the client at the center of any design-build process. This collaboration and transparency are key to a projects success.
We specialize in art and design for hospitality; restaurants, cafes, lounges & hotels. Our consolidated approach to projects takes into account business objectives, product knowledge, budgets and timelines.
It is our commitment to design inspiring spaces that generate increased productivity and successful results.
- During the first client meeting we like to overview and understand the story behind and end goal of the product they want to achieve. We will ask questions about budget, schedule, team and consultants.
- This information is considered in conjunction with the property information, it’s parameters and if there are any specific requirements and restrictions (minor variances, occupancy increases, building codes, etc)
- Our goal is to inform the client of the design-build process by providing information on construction schedules and costs, budgeting and additional consultants (when required)
- A developed response on the feasibility of the project is presented along with a concept and moodboard of insights, suggestions and references.
- Design meetings are scheduled for the client to ask questions and express their ideas. We want to understand the restrictions on the space as well as the goals and opportunities for future growth. These meetings provide us with a greater understanding of the product to prepare preliminary plans.
- During the preliminary design phase all parameters are consider for drawing schematic floor plans and building a concept model. Occupancies, restrictions, sustainability and budget are all considered to build the design package. This is presented to the client for review and comments.
- Once preliminary design is approved we move on to final design, which is refined based on clients’ feedback and consultants’ input. Once a comfortable scenario is reached we prepare the design for permit plans and documents.
- If a minor variance is required additional work is necessary for the application and approval process with the City. If this is required we work with an architect and consultants (if required) and give guidance for attaining the approval. The client should be aware these variances have to be accepted and approved by the surrounding community as well as the city. This often means several meetings as well as a hearing date. If approved, a 21 day appeal period follows at which time building permit can be submitted.
- In addition to architectural plans, most commercial permit applications require a mechanical and electrical stamped set of drawings. We work with the clients’ preferred contacts or make suggestions based on our consultant experience. These consultant fees are additional.
04 CONSTRUCTION DRAWINGS
- During the permit review period the drawings are finalized and issued to contractors for pricing. This package entails the set of permit drawings, renderings and additional design details including millwork and product specifications.
- Upon permit approval a final set of drawings is issued for construction including all (if any) changes required by building code, all information to date including additional client and contractor input, to capture all information required for construction.
05 CONSTRUCTION ADMIN
- During the construction process we will manage the day-to-day communications related to the design. When required design-build decisions may need to be determined or resolved on site with the builder.
- Our intention is to stay connected via email and phone to ensure the construction process runs smoothly and timely while meeting all our design intentions. We will always work towards a good working relationship with the builder so ideas are easily shared and problems are resolved. Considering time and budget constraints we will represent the client to ensure quality of construction while continuously refining the design.
We believe in transparency and simplicity. A thorough proposal will be will provide the client with a thorough proposal including the rate for all architectural and design work. This includes drawings, design and specifications for the construction build. Artist and project management services are also available under a separate agreement.